Written by Daryna Lohvinova
Celebrating the New Year in the most romantic city of the whole planet is already an event that can be told to grandchildren. New Year’s Paris – Christmas markets with mulled wine and hot chocolate, live showcases at the Printemps and Lafayette galleries, festive programs at Moulin Rouge and Disneyland, a multicolored crowd on the Champs Elysees at midnight.
Weather in Paris in December-January
Probably the only thing that can reduce the degree of fun is the weather in Paris on New Year’s. In December and January, the capital of France is usually damp, windy, and chilly. The air temperature is kept around + 6 ° C during the day, and at night it can freeze. Alas and ah, but snow in Paris cannot be seen either on New Years or in winter in general. But getting under a small prolonged under-rain is quite.
Christmas traditions in France
It is customary to celebrate Christmas exclusively with your family. All sit down at the festive table on the evening of December 24th. And Per-Noel (French Santa Claus) brings sweets, books and toys to children. Women are presented with perfume, bags, jewelry. It is no longer accepted to give gifts for the New Year.
Despite the lack of gifts, the French love to celebrate the New Year. And not only with family, but also with friends. It is customary to prepare a luxurious table for both holidays. At Christmas, the main course is goose or turkey, and for dessert, there is a sweet “Bush de Noel” log.
Where to celebrate New Years in Paris?
Christmas events in Paris begin on December 6 with the celebration of Saint Nicholas Day. At this time, Christmas markets open everywhere, a huge plus of which is that they do not stop working on December 23-24, but last until mid-January.
From 24 to 25 December, the French celebrate Christmas. If in other European capitals after Christmas there is a lull for several days, then in Paris life is in full swing.
On the night of December 31 to January 1, New Year is celebrated throughout the country. On January 2, everyone starts to work as usual, the fairs are not closed due to the influx of tourists.
Of course, you can celebrate the New Year in Paris everywhere: there would be a suitable mood and company. Catch a list of the most popular locations:
- Under the Eiffel Tower or overlooking the Trocadero and the Champ de Mars. Tourists come there because “this is Paris.” And where to celebrate the New Year anyway! In fact, nothing special will happen at the main symbol of the city: illumination at midnight – and obsessive offers to buy champagne – are the same as every hour. Get ready for crowds.
- On the Champs Elysees in front of the Arc de Triomphe. The same story as with the Eiffel Tower. There are a lot of people, noisy, pass only through security, no city fireworks and entertainment – just cool illumination and a general atmosphere of joy and celebration
- To the ballet Raymonda at the Opera Bastille – tickets € 55 – until 22.30
- Near the Sacre Cairn Basilica of Montmartre. The place is very pleasant, certainly crowded, but with a great view of Paris
- On a boat sailing along the Seine. Food, must-have outfit, and romantic night city landscapes. The issue price is € 90 per person.
- In an authentic cabaret – Moulin Rouge (€ 500- € 1000), Lido (€ 300- € 700), Crazy Horse (€ 250-290), Brasil Tropical (€ 250). The price includes a New Year’s program, menu, and drinks; besides Moulin Rouge and Lido: the “inexpensive” there includes a bottle of champagne
- In Disneyland (special offer from 8 pm to 1 am) – celebrate the New Year in the company of Mickey Mouse with music, parades, and fireworks – well, isn’t it a dream? In general, special tours with the capture of Disneyland are organized for the New Year in Paris 2020
- In the restaurant there is for any budget, dress code and with different cuisine (specifics below)
- In the hotel / apartments – large chains usually offer a gala dinner. If you don’t like noisy gatherings at all, the layout of “solitude, French champagne, foie gras and the president broadcasting from the phone screen” is also good.
Prices for holidays in Paris in winter
The cost of a vacation for two with self-booking of air tickets and accommodation can differ from the costs of a New Year’s tour, both up and down. But food prices in Paris are the same for everyone:
- Lunch at an inexpensive cafe for two – from € 30
- Dinner at the restaurant – € 55- € 60 (no alcohol)
- Picnic for two “from the supermarket” – € 10- € 15 (wine, baguette, pate, cherry tomatoes, cheese, sweet buns)
- Onion soup – € 10- € 12
- Snails (6 pcs.) – € 8- € 12
- A glass of mulled wine at the fair – from € 4
- Cappuccino – from € 2.5
- Croissant – € 1.2
- Burger and fries at McDonald’s – € 7
What to see in Paris?
The main attractions in Paris:
- Eiffel Tower – Rise € 10- € 25
- Louvre – € 17
- Arc de Triomphe and Champs Elysees – rise € 12
- Luxembourg garden
- Montmartre and the Sacre Coeur Basilica
Where to go exactly for the New Year’s atmosphere? Here are some pure winter holiday ideas:
Times of Christmas markets in Paris:
- Champs Elysees – from 24.11.2020 to 06.01.2021
- Eiffel Tower – from 12/15/2020 to 01/05/2021
- Defense – from 11/23/2020 to 12/28/2021
- Eastern Station – from 01.12.2020 to 15.12.2020
- Gare Saint-Lazare – from 11/16/2020 to 12/25/2020
- Saint-Germain-des-Prés – from 12/01/2020 to 12/31/2020
- Montmartre – from 01.12.2020 to 24.12.2020
- Notre-dame-de-Paris – from 12/13/2020 to 12/23/2020
Shopping – New Years Sale
After the New Year’s party in Paris, it’s time to go shopping Please note that on January 1, you won’t be able to go through the boutiques – almost everything in the capital is closed.
Top places for shopaholics in Paris:
✓ Galleries Lafayette Shopping Center
✓ Shopping center Printemps (+ great free view on the top floor)
✓ Flea markets (the largest is Saint-Ouen)
✓ Le Bon Marche Department Store
✓ Boutiques on the Champs Elysees
✓ Rue de Rivoli and Marais
✓ La Vallée Village Boutique Village
- study well the route, local traditions, laws;
- check the availability of documents, tickets;
- do not forget medicines, personal hygiene products, glasses and other necessary things;
- money “put in different baskets” – 2-3 cards and a small amount of cash;
- take clothes for different weather, but do not take jewelry with you;
- do not forget about the festive mood.
Telling how and where to spend Christmas and New Year in Paris can be endlessly long. The main thing is to make a decision to visit there and not be afraid to travel on your own. Try to choose a place to stay closer to the city center. This will save you money on travel to main attractions. And the prices, oddly enough, will be more affordable. Good luck!
The post New Year’s holiday in Paris. Romantic and unforgettable! appeared first on AutomotorPro.com.